District Councillor for Harbour Villages
DISTRICT COUNCIL MATTERS
- Walked the proposed Hambrook Wildlife Corridor with Council Officer to better understand the significant risk to biodiversity and landscape if these areas not protected
- Attended urgent meeting with Council Officers regarding Council Tax hardship payments
- Meeting with Council Officers to finalise plans for Lib Dem Council budget amendments on the environment and sustainable business development
- Attended “Community Energy England” Local Capacity session to better understand the challenges connecting larger scale renewable energy sites to the electricity network
- Monthly catch up with Council Directors
- Helped develop Cross Party “20mph” Council Motion for presentation at March Council meeting
BOSHAM WARD MATTERS
- Parish Council meetings in Chidham and Hambrook, Bosham and Fishbourne
- Followed up with residents on flooding, parking and planning concerns
- Attended Residents Against Vehicles' Excessive Noise (RAVEN) meeting
- Attended On-Line Conference on What role does the real estate sector play in ‘Levelling Up’ the UK?
- Working to resolve issues around the High Street and empty shops
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT PARTY MATTERS
- Local Government Association - Attended Group Leaders Budget briefing as Leader of Lib Dems on the District Council
- Worked alongside fellow Lib Dems on campaigns we are running locally
County Councillor for the Bourne Division
- Southbourne - WSCC Highways Stein Road and Manor Road parking improvements
- Thornham sewage works - organised visit for 12 Councillors and residents
- ChEmRoute - negotiations with WSCC and National Highways to improve this cycle-route design
- Water resources - attended WRSE meeting looking at integrated water supply
- Storm Eunice - helping Parishes with tree, road and storm damage issues
- Rights of Way - resolving disputes over pathways for resident amenity
- Bourne (free) Bus - lease deal and all Parish routes in finalisation stage
City Councillor for Chichester Central
- Conservation Advisory Committee meeting re planning applications in Chichester Conservation Area
- Chaired special meeting of City Finance Committee re finance for Chichester Gala
- Chichester City LibDem group meeting
- Discussions with Town Clerk and other City Council staff
- Chichester City Council full council meeting
- Sorted query from resident about Priory Park – resident very satisfied
- Ongoing efforts to sort out parking issues for residents of the area
City Councillor for Chichester East
- All parishes meeting - attended as City Council representative
- Rotary club Thankyou evening – attended as mayoress
- Volunteered at community coffee club for vulnerable x twice
- Friends of Valletta (friendship link between the City of Chichester and the town of Valletta in Malta) meeting - attended as City Council representative
- Friends of Chartres (Chichester’s French twinning association) – attended annual dinner as mayoress
- Attended Premiere of the “Over the Rainbow” film, thanking those for stepping up during the Pandemic
- Lions Club’s 55th charter lunch – attended as mayoress
- Chi Lib Dem Chichester City Council group meeting - attended
- Chichester City Council Full council meeting - attended
City Councillor for North ward
- CCC Planning Committee - attended and contributed
- Charity fundraiser for Think18 - represented the Mayor (as Bailiff) [https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/people/chichester-valentines-party-raises-ps1500-for-west-sussex-charity-which-supports-young-adults-with-learning-disabilities-3582396]
- Chi LibDem Chichester City Council group meeting - attended
- Received news of contact made with Council in Speyer Germany for Chichester to receive a delegation in the summer
- Met with Peter Horn (Chair of Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust) following confirmation of my appointment to the Council of Governors of the Trust. [N.B. I am the only nominated LibDem Governor]
- Full Chichester City Council Meeting – attended and gave recommendation to seek to move to ‘hybrid mtgs’ (in-person and Zoom) ASAP
District Councillor for the Chichester West Ward
- Planning Committee. Made suggestions to alleviate awful blank North elevation of St. James Ind. Est. - i.e. the main view of it we'll all see from Westhampnett Rd.
- In response to new residents' request, applied to WSCC for bus provision for Minerva Heights on service 54
- continued visits to new residents of Minerva Heights (i.e. formerly White House Fm.), received much positive response
- attended Consultation between Bp. Luffa School, Developers, and nearest neighbours re replacement School Car Park proposals. Supported important mods.
- Correspondence with CDC Planning Divisional Manager re Planning Budget for 2022-23
- Correspondence with CDC Planning re budget, and then submitted Motion for Council Budget Meeting (due 8th March) and engaged senior CDC officers in detailed discussion of it - motion withdrawn on obtaining assurances.
- Joined the start of our Lib Dem Survey of Local Residents to find out what people actually want CDC to do. This will be an ongoing activity.
- Chairman's Briefing for Planning Committee meeting
County Councillor (Midhurst division) and District Councillor (Harting ward)
- Meeting re affordable housing in Rogate – Chaired meeting of two groups working towards this.
- Harting traffic group meeting with Highways – guiding them towards applying for a community highway scheme to include 20mph and some other traffic calming to improve safety for pedestrians throughout the village
- Midhurst Greenway – attended exhibition on this off-road cycle path - listened to concerns of residents – had meeting with officers to present the voice of the community – hoping for changes to the scheme.
- Attended governance committee at WSCC – challenged Conservatives to publish the parish of all councillors so that electors are able to find out whether their Councillor lives locally.
- Toured the record office – saw the amazing Sussex Copy of the American Declaration of Independence and the incredible archive – they need to expand their building.
- Attended Cycling member group at WSCC – discussed with officers the lack of resource in their team – the walking and cycling strategy is being delayed for a year because of this.
- Attended governors meeting – very challenging time for small schools – the impact of Covid on staff has been immense.
- Met with Chichester District Lib Dem councillors to prepare our budget amendment – concentrating on the environment, funding for a landscape officer and an economic development officer focusing on the environment helping the district move towards decarbonisation
City Councillor for Chichester North
- Wrote ‘Planning’ section for Chichester City Council’s Neighbourhood Plan PLACE assessment.
- Recruited and supported four volunteers in the writing of the other four sections of CCC’s Neighbourhood Plan PLACE assessment.
- Worked up the plan to set the terms of reference and administer to a new, cross-party and inter-council, 20mph speed-limits sub-group now called ‘Safer Streets’. Chaired first two meetings of this group.
- Researched and produced an Evidence Paper in support of the Motion calling for CCC support for 20mph speed-limits across the City.
- Spoke to the Motion and gained a unanimous vote.
- Wrote to Chichester Observer about the success of the motion
- Offered to help with writing articles for the Noise Group (RAVEN).
- Wrote and preped the activities for a workshop planned for eliciting the ideas of Chichester North’s Organisations as they apply to the new Neighbourhood Plan. Administered the invitations of a re-scheduled event at the Rugby Club having cancelled the original due to the Omicron outbreak
- Listened to Residents’ concerns about, the impending cost of living crisis, dangerous traffic, children’s road-crossing points, and about halting the spread of building works in the north of the ward. Also listened to their aspirations about information boards for Chichester North.
- Recruited and met with new volunteers for the Speed Watch group. Arranged for their training.
- Met with Residents’ Associations
- Attended zoom training session for Local Councillors.
District Councillor for the Chichester North Ward
- CDC Task and Finish group on Priory Park
- Interesting discussion with CDC following residents query; Do councillors have a retirement age? No- they are immortal!
- City Council Special Council Meeting
- Chaired West of Chichester Group on WHF issues
- Attended Parklands Residents Association meeting.
- Hosted Premiere of the “Over the Rainbow” film, thanking those for stepping up during the Pandemic
- Attended Neighbourhood Plan organisers group
- Two motions on 20 mph speed limit ( Maureen Corfield initiative) and Lidl /Story Road Path ( my motion) successfully passed by the City Council
City Councillor for the Chichester West
- Full Chichester City Council: seconded motion passed unanimously on adoption of city-wide 20s Plenty proposal; also urged City Council to think seriously about the timings of future meetings to encourage younger, working people to stand for election
- Planning and Conservation Committee: raised objections to over-intensification of development on the Lavant Road
- Attended several meetings: 20s Plenty; Chi Lib Dem Strategy; the BID; Friends of Ravenna (Italy)
- Attended training: Local Government Finance and recent developments
- Lib Dem leafleting in Chichester West: latest Focus distribution completed, and began work on Residents Survey
District Councillor for the Southbourne Ward
- The clearance of the Hyde building rubble in Bramley Gardens, Southbourne, which has taken many years to resolve, and it now ongoing.
- Parham Place Operation Watershed; this has taken over two years to initiate, with me working alongside County Councillors. At last we have agreement from the owner of the land to put in a drain to alleviate flooding.
- Attended Southbourne Parish Council drop in at the Sussex Brewery in my role as District Councillor.Enquires ranged from a suspected illegal skip business, footpaths, dementia care, listed building and allotments.
- Working on the Bournes Bus project with Cllr Andrew Kerry-Bedell, presenting to the Annual Civilian Military Partnership meeting for the South East.
- Working with the Southbourne Community Land Trust on the Bournes Bus Project and a possible housing site.
- Working with Hyde and the Parish Council on the purchase of an allotment site, including a visit.
- Bourne Governors tour of the Community College, visiting the STEM building and being made Pupil Premium Link Governor.
- Helping remove a dangerous branch during Storm Eustice with Parish Councillors and residents.
- Organised licensing visit to a local caravan park where there is a question mark about appropriate management.
- Helping maintain a hedge and attending a staff appraisal as Tuppeny Barn trustee.
- Visited Thornham Treatment Works, thank you Andrew Kerry-Bedell.
- Helped negotiating in a neighbour’s dispute through Hyde, CDC and the Police.
- Researched into my role as Chair of the Affordable Housing Task and Finish Group.
- Joint Forces event in Chichester jointly attended with Jonathan Brown.